Friday, December 21, 2012

Friday Flashback: Sleigh Ride

Two good things today:  so far it looks like the apocalypse is a dud, and I was picked as a Fab Fave at Fab Friday :)  That was a lovely surprise!

So usually for the Friday Flashback, I choose the name of a stamp set out of a proverbial hat (it's actually a rather large Rubbermaid container, I don't think all those slips of paper would fit in a hat unless it was the one Big Tex used to wear at the Texas State Fair...and he combusted this year anyway).  This time, since it's the last Christmas edition of the Friday Flashback for this year, I decided I wanted to use Sleigh Ride, which is the set I used for my very first-ever handmade Christmas cards back in 2004.  Wanna see?


D'awwwww.  Oh yes, this is before I discovered the joys of the Stamp-a-ma-jig, which I still use pretty much every time I stamp.  This card was pretty much an exact copy of what was in the catalog that year, only the original had brads on it somewhere.  I think that I'm still on that very first pack of Confetti Cream cardstock too...not one I use much.  (Supply list here if you want it.)  I must have been crazy to watercolor a gazillion Christmas cards (not that I haven't done that again since then, I never learn)...my sweet hubs even helped with the watercoloring that year.  Anyway, I intentionally didn't look at this card again before I made the new 2012 version:


And I'm laughing because I colored in most of the image with pretty much the same colors as the first time, except I left the trees snow-covered this time.  Well, I'm consistent.  This time I used WWC to color it in instead of watercolor pencils, much better color matches to cardstock.  And since I am now a seasoned stamper, I was brave enough to add brads to this one, which kind of made me giggle because I remember thinking brads were just too advanced when I made that first card way back when.


I'm an overachiever today, I made two cards for the Flashback.  I don't think I'd used the bell stamp before so it needed some love.  This sketch isn't particularly my style though...it was an SCS challenge a couple weeks ago that I didn't do thanks to my cold (the previous card is this week's sketch tweaked a little bit).  Anyway, I thought it would be fun to do So Saffron for a Christmas card and it worked with the bells, I kinda like it.  And can you tell how much I love my Framelits?  I did have to cut the squarish one in half on this card as it wasn't *quite* wide enough to mat my bell image how I wanted it to.

So that's it for the Christmas Friday Flashbacks, so who knows what it will be next week!  Thanks for stopping by today, may your Friday be totally non-apocalyptic :)

Happy Holidays card supplies:
Stamps:  Sleigh Ride (retired, obviously, or this wouldn't be a Friday Flashback)
Ink:  Chocolate Chip craft (is there a petition to get this back?  'Cause I'd totally sign, I love this ink pad)
Paper:  Early Espresso, Cherry Cobbler, Very Vanilla, Deck the Halls DSP (retired)
Accessories:  WWC, clear EP, Apothecary Accents Framelits, retired vintage brads, Dimensionals

Christmas Bells card supplies:
Stamps:  Sleigh Ride
Ink:  Chocolate Chip craft
Paper:  So Saffron, Early Espresso, Cherry Cobbler, Old Olive, Very Vanilla, Jolly Holiday DSP (retired)
Accessories:  WWC, clear EP, Labels & Apothecary Accents Framelits, Dimensionals

No comments: