Monday, June 17, 2013

Watercolor Wash

Happy Monday, folks!  We are officially under a week until the baby shower I'm hosting on Saturday, so I've got to get my rear in gear and finish up a couple projects for that.  The biggest two are done though so yay!

Anyway, I got to try out a new-to-me technique for today's card called watercolor wash.  I found the instructions here on Angie Leach's blog, and here's how mine turned out:


This was a very messy technique...or I'm a very messy stamper...and I was really careful about not getting the wet ink everywhere until the VERY LAST MINUTE and I got a splotch of Elegant Eggplant ink on the left side of the card.  DRAT!  I left it on there because I'm calling it handmade charm (work with me, people!).  The watercolor piece was my first attempt where I didn't stamp off the ink on the block before spritzing and smearing it on the watercolor paper so the colors are extra saturated (my new In Color ink pads are almost ridiculously juicy).  I had another piece that I did stamp off a bit and it was much softer, but then I messed it up when I stamped the image--I hadn't re-inked my Elegant Eggplant ink pad and the image didn't come out dark enough, and then I didn't get it exactly lined up right to stamp over it the second time.  So I inked up the ink pad and then stamped it on this piece instead.

The layout is one of those gonzo old SCS sketch challenges that I think is overly complicated, but the color inspiration came from this gorgeous picture at Just Add Ink:


I used Strawberry Slush, Coastal Cabana, and Elegant Eggplant as my colors based on the picture, though perhaps the darker Bermuda Bay would have been a closer match to the photo.  But I love Coastal Cabana so I had to play with that and did you SEE that scrumptious pattern from the Eastern Elegance DSP?  Love that!!

Ok, enough rambling from me today, I've got work to do.  Have a fantabulous day!

Supplies, all SU!
Stamps:  Serene Silhouettes, Express Yourself (new hostess set!)
Ink:  Coastal Cabana, Strawberry Slush, Elegant Eggplant, Versamark
Paper:  Coastal Cabana, Strawberry Slush, Elegant Eggplant, Watercolor paper, Eastern Elegance DSP
Accessories:  White EP, tiny pearls, Dimensionals

6 comments:

Christine Blain said...

This is gorgeous, Christy - the mess was worth it! LOVE the vibrant colours you've used, and yes, I see that glorious paper!! Thanks for joining in the fun at Just Add Ink this week. :)

Nikki Spencer said...

Not sure about a pirate Christy, but l could come at Tinkerbell...:0)
Such a lovely use of colour and design and that DSP is divine, beautiful job! Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink.

KimB said...

Sounds like you had lots of (messy) fun making this Christie. But it was worth the effort. You've captured the vibrant colour transition beautifully. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink.

Mae's Cachet said...

It is always fun trying out a new technique and your watercolor wash turned out great. Thanks for joining in with this week's challenge at Jut Add Ink.

Narelle Farrugia said...

This is beautiful Christie! What a lovely technique you've created for your main panel! Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Christine. I really love how that watercolour wash comes up - I will have to try that technique. I also really like the layout of your card. Chantell JAI